It’s a new phenomenon for me. Not wanting fall to come. Not looking forward to cooler temps. Not dying to get my boots out. Yep, I’ve dug my heels in and have a tight grip on the ever shortening days. For as long as I can remember, September has meant fall colors, my birthday (equaling more fall clothes), shorter days and cooler nights. I’m not sure what happened but boy am I gonna miss having on shorts at 8 p.m., wearing sandals everywhere, late night trips for ice cream, grilling at 7, my flower pots, and all the other things that come with summer.
And, since fashion revolves around the seasons, we have officially entered that dreaded transitional phase. What to wear in September??? But, being the consummate professional I am, I’m here to make it easy and calm any worries you might have:)
First off, remember my last post? I said I’d just post it again for Labor Day. About white after Labor Day. Just do it. Turn some heads. Wear it proudly. Maybe not white shoes, I think I draw a line there. But def white jeans and pants. The top is the crucial factor. I’m not going to show more pictures, just refer back to the previous post. It’s doable and cool in sweltering September heat (although how about these cool temps???).
So, what to do the rest of September? Start the move toward fall, with shades of autumn color and weight of fabric. You want fall tones like deep reds, teal, burnt orange etc. and when the temps dip, certainly bring out your heavier fabrics. For instance, a cashmere caridi over a sleeveless dress is certainly appropriate. It’s simple! And for those of you that want specifics for buying….I do have some guidelines for fall.
First and foremost, get all your clothes out…..most of it anyway, and access. What do you need? What fits? Of course, this process probably involves me:)
Main pieces to look for are:
1) Good fitting jeans, whether boot, skinny or whatever. And for sure have a dark rinse pair on hand. Jeans are a bit like bathing suits….sometimes very hard to find the right, best fitting pair. It can take awhile and is best done with your favorite (me,me,me) stylist:)
2) Closed toe shoes that you love to wear. Some shade of brown and black and maybe a color and/or print. The style below is my new favorite but another choice to be on trend would be a pointy toe flat. Not so new but an excellent one to pick.
3) Replenish and stock up on long sleeve tees/tops to wear alone and to layer under sweaters.
4) Evaluate your fall jewelry. Yes, jewelry. That coral and shell necklace won’t get it this fall. And your other accessories; scarves, gloves, tights, etc.
5) Boots, boots, boots. Chelsea, knee, flat, stacked heel, ankle….which ever you prefer. If you’re like me, you’d like one or two of each. And the difference between a Chelsea and ankle you ask?? A Chelsea has the elastic insert at the ankle and can be slipped on.
Thought I’d show a whole outfit with a pair. The famous Alexa Chung skipping around London looking like the “it” girl she is! Don’t hate her for those long skinny legs!
5) Splurge on a sweater you love. It can be cashmere, heavy fisherman style, a well-made cardigan from a synthetic material (cause some of you are allergic to wool I know!) or any other style you’d kill to wear. But treat yourself this fall. It’s really the best way to enjoy a cold October day. Am I right?? And for some reason I’m coveting a beautiful hand-knit Fair Isle this winter. Like this…..gorgeous! BTW, they call sweaters like this jumpers in Nordic countries. Interesting.
Work wear is a whole ‘nother topic! I’ll tackle that one soon. Just wanted to get this out there for those of you itching to buy some fall goodies!
I hope you have a great week and please call or email soon for fall appointments. My days are filling!! If you are new to my blog and want more info, click on the HOME button in the top right corner. It’ll take you to the info and an outdated pic of me!
Thanks so much for reading and shares/ likes are so appreciated,